Transactions on Transport Sciences, 2017 (vol. 8), issue 2
Transactions on Transport Sciences 2017, 8(2):3-13 | DOI: 10.5507/tots.2017.009
Safe or unsafe driving maneuvers in road traffic
- a Institute of Forensic Engineering, Brno University of Technology, Purkyňova 118, Brno 61200, Czech Republic
This article represents an area closely connected to the analysis of road accidents. When the act of accident is being considered by an expert, it often happens that one participant of the accident causes that the other participant has to change suddenly the speed or direction of his/her drive to prevent possible collision. For a proper consideration of the driving manoeuvres we need to know the limit of a sudden change of speed or a sudden change of direction of drive. The limit of suddenness can be taken as the limit between a safe and already unsafe driving manoeuvre (braking, transverse motion) of the vehicle. The author tried to settle this limit by measurements with respondents who were asked to subjectively classify particular driving manoeuvres. For classification of the sudden change of speed, the intensity of deceleration was altered (3 m/s2, 5 m/s2, 7 m/s2, and maximum attainable deceleration amax m/s2). At classifying a sudden change of direction, we changed the trajectory of the vehicle´s motion with transverse motion in one curve. As a result in the change of trajectory, the magnitude of side acceleration changed (values of side acceleration 2 m/s2, 3 m/s2, 4 m/s2 and 6 m/s2). From the results achieved it can be settled that the limit of a sudden change of vehicle´s speed went round a half of maximally achievable braking deceleration of personal vehicles, at approximately 3,8 to 4,8 m/s2. The limit of a sudden change of direction of drive went between 2,7 and 3,5 m/s2.of vehicles´ side acceleration. Achieved knowledge can be used in the sphere of road accident analysis when classifying driving manoeuvres of individual participants of the scene of accident. All measurements were taken with personal vehicles, thus it is possible to pay further attention to setting the limit of a sudden change of speed and direction of drive with utility vehicles, lorries and trucks, respectively.
Keywords: Road accident, driving manoeuvres, sudden change of speed, sudden change of direction.
Received: May 18, 2017; Accepted: October 16, 2017; Published: December 18, 2017Show citation
- Bradáč, A. a kol. (1999) Soudní inženýrství. Brno: CERM. ISBN 80-720-4133-9.
- Burg, H., Moser, A. (2009) Handbuch Verkehrsunfallrekonstruktion: Unfallaufnahme, Fahrdynamik, Simulation. 2. aktualisierte Aufl. Wiesbaden: Vieweg Teubner, ISBN 978-3-8348-0546-1.
- Rivers, R. (2010) Technical traffic crash investigators' handbook a technical reference, training, investigation and reconstruction manual. 3rd ed. Springfield: Charles C. Thomas Publisher. ISBN 978-0-398-07907-9.
- Langle, L., Dantu R. (2009) Are you a Safe Driver. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering. p. 502-507. ISBN 978-0-7695-3823.
- Park, K.S., Lee, A.J., and Koh, B.K. (2001) Drivers' Characteristics in the Perception of a Lead Vehicle's Deceleration Level. International Journal of Cognitive Ergonomics, Vol. 5, Num. 2, p. 125-136.
- Vogel, K. (2003) A comparison of headway and time to collision as safety indicators. Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 35, p. 427-433.
- Kusano, K. D., Gabler. H. C. (2011) Method for Estimating Time to Collision at Braking in Real-World, Lead Vehicle Stopped Rear-End Crashes for Use in Pre-Crash System Design. SAE Technical Paper, 2011-01-0576, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-0576. Go to original source...
- Kusano, K. D., Chen, R., Montgomery, J. and Gabler. H. C. (2015) Population distributions of time to collision at brake application during car following from naturalistic driving data. Journal of Safety Research, Vol. 54, p. 95-104.
- Kledus, R. (2003) Modelování pohybu vozidla při analýze silničních nehod - vyhýbací manévr. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Brno University of technology, Czech Republic.
- Bradáč A. Jr. (2005) Příčné přemístění vozidel při analýze silniční nehody. . (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Brno University of technology, Czech Republic.
- Lukášik, M. (2010) Vybrané specifika technického výkladu pravidel cestnej premávky při technickej analýze dopravných nehod. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Žilina, Slovak Republic.
- Besip (2016) Zákon č. 361/2000 Sb., o provozu na pozemních komunikacích. Retrieved from http://www.ibesip.cz/cz/legislativa/silnicni-zakon-s-komentarem
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY), which permits use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original publication is properly cited. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.